Bicycle manufacturers have recently released some models that look like a cyclocross bike but in reality are not. Black Fly Challenge follows the UCI specifications for cyclocross bikes, the main distinctions being:
- A bicycle shall not measure more that 185 cm in length and 50 cm in width overall.
- Wheel diameter may vary between 70 cm maximum and 55 cm minimum, including the tire.
- Wheels shall have at least 12 spokes.
- Tire width shall not exceed 33 mm (1.3 in) and it may not incorporate any form of spike or stud.
- Weight of the bicycle shall not be less than 6.8 kilograms (15 lbs).
- Disc brakes are allowed.
If your bike does not fall within these parameters register in the MTB category. Don’t be fooled by drop-bar, rigid frame bikes that look like a cyclocross but have bigger, fatter tires. These bikes don’t meet the UCI specs for cyclocross. Download the full UCI specs here.