Check out the UPDATE to this post.
Bicycle manufacturers have recently released some models that look like a cyclocross bike but in reality are not. With the exception of tire width, Black Fly Challenge follows the UCI specifications for cyclocross bikes, the main distinctions being:
- A bicycle shall not measure more that 185 cm in length and 50 cm in width overall.
- Wheel diameter may vary between 70 cm maximum and 55 cm minimum, including the tire.
- Wheels shall have at least 12 spokes.
- Weight of the bicycle shall not be less than 6.8 kilograms (15 lbs).
- Disc brakes are allowed.
- UCI’s max tire width is 33 mm (1.3 in) but BFC allows fatter tires, up to 40mm.
If your bike does not fall within these parameters register in the MTB category. Don’t be fooled by drop-bar, rigid frame bikes that look like a cyclocross but have bigger, fatter tires. These bikes don’t meet the UCI specs for cyclocross. Download the full UCI specs here.
Some other Cyclocross commonalities:
- They all have dropbars
- They don’t have any front suspension
- Generally have a tire size of 1.9” or wider
- Have flat handlebars
- Have front and/or rear suspension